Our institute is founding member of the Cyber Valley, a research network comprising key players in the field of artificial intelligence, including major industry partners. AI software from our institute has already led to multiple startups. The institute is distributed over two nearby campuses in Tübingen and Stuttgart. The successful applicant will support and collaborate with researchers from both campuses and will be primarily based in Tübingen, a beautiful university town, with a high quality of life, in an area of outstanding natural beauty in southwestern Germany. The majority of the institute’s scientific employees come from outside of Germany. You will work among gifted students and experienced scientists from all over the world; and have access to excellent infrastructure, including several regular series of tutorials, lectures, journal clubs and invited talks by international guests, as well as a large computer cluster, and dedicated full-time specialists. The working language at the institute is English.
The Cyber Valley
The position is situated within the newly established Cyber Valley Central Scientific Facility. The Cyber Valley Initiative is bringing new research groups, professorships, and industry partners to Tübingen and Stuttgart. The Cyber Valley is bringing together international key players from science and industry to boost Artificial Intelligence research and development. The aim of the research cluster is to learn from nature and to understand the underlying regulatory and control mechanisms of perception, action and learning and to reproduce them in artificial systems. As core elements of Cyber Valley, new research groups, professorships, and an International Max Planck Research School (IMPRS) will be established, that will connect the existing research activities.
In this context, we have a fantastic opportunity as Computer Scientist/Software Engineer
This is a unique position combining software engineering with research on intelligent systems.
Salaries and contract will be based on previous experience according to TVöD guidelines. This is a full-time position. The position is initially limited to two years with the possibility of a transition into a permanent position. The place of work is Tuebingen.
As part of the Cyber Valley Central Scientific Facility, you will be deeply involved in some of the world’s most exciting, cutting-edge, interdisciplinary AI projects. The systems you develop will enable scientists and engineers to build larger and more complex systems based on the research of the institute and our collaborators around the world.
You will collaborate with researchers from the Cyber Valley and across the MPI for Intelligent Systems as well as the Software Workshop to translate research code and scientific ideas into maintainable, deployable, and robust software. The software projects may be used internally, made available open-source, or even licensed for commercial use.
By translating scientific advances into (intelligent) mobile, web, and desktop applications, and developing machine learning methods, open-source libraries, and software infrastructure you will enable new discoveries on intelligent systems and help disseminate them worldwide.
Responsibilities may include
- Development and deployment of intelligent mobile apps
- Data science including working with data bases, data management, preprocessing, data analysis, computational statistics, and machine learning
- Development of research web applications, including web apps for data visualization, and support for programming and running online experiments using service platforms such as Mechanical Turk and psiTurk
- Support researchers in GPU programming, parallel computing (e.g., CUDA, OpenCL, embedded GPUs), and scientific computing
- Supporting researchers in the application of machine learning frameworks, such as Tensorflow, pytorch, PyMC3, or Pyro, and contributing to the development of new deep learning, reinforcement learning, and/or probabilistic programming methods
- Programming and software development for embedded systems (e.g., microcontrollers or smart devices)
- Development and programming of real-time sensing and measurement systems
- Translation of research code into production code (with algorithmic optimizations and design improvements) in multiple widely used programming languages and dissemination of the resulting packages
You have a PhD or M.Sc. in Computer Science or a related discipline, two or more years of experience in software engineering (e.g., professional software development in a team and/or open source experience), a team-player attitude, excellent communication skills in written and spoken English, and experience in several of the following areas:
- Mobile app development
- Programming in C++ and many other languages
- GPU programming
- Web development
- Data science and machine learning
- Embedded systems programming
- Robotics, computer vision, or deep learning tools such as TensorFlow and pytorch
- Scientific programming and knowledge of scientific libraries, parallel programming, and code optimization
To apply, please upload your complete application in English (a cover letter, a curriculum vitae, as well as a list of references) to
or send a hardcopy application quoting S_W010 to:
Max-Planck-Institut für Intelligente Systeme
Gemeinsame Verwaltung, Heisenbergstr. 1
For more information or questions about scientific and technical aspects of the position please contact Jean-Claude Passy at email@example.com. For administrative questions, please contact Sabrina Jung at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More information about the Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems can be found on is.mpg.de. For more information on Cyber Valley, please go to cyber-valley.de
Multiple positions are available and will be open until filled or no longer needed. Preference will be given to applications received by 15 March, 2019.
The Max Planck Society is committed to employing more handicapped individuals and especially encourages them to apply. Furthermore, the Max Planck Society seeks to increase the number of women in areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply.